[LINK] SBS: The Age of Big Data

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 7 10:05:18 AEDT 2014

At 11:57 PM 6/01/2014, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

>I don't care about spooks, I'm innocent. It's all the small, continuous,
>and from everywhere stuff that will be creepy, without firm legislation.

Hmmm.....maybe we should care even more about the spooks, at least in
terms of when that expands to include law enforcement, at least if
you set foot in Queensland. You may be innocent, but are you so sure
about all the people you know? Guilt by association is a real fact in
Qld now. Just ask the five people languishing in solitary confinement
for the next five months when their case comes to court.

The problem with allowing authorities off the leash and you
proclaiming that you're innocent, that these laws are there to 'get
the bad guys', is that authorities have powers to define who bad guys
are and you may not be seen as so innocent through their eyes.
Selective application of the law and retrospective law are two very
dangerous concepts currently being used by various governments. The
collection of all this big data is more concerning than first
appears. Don't forget that John Howard tried very hard to bring back
sedition to this country. And if you heard the boos at the Brisbane
tennis tournament this weekend whenever the Sports Minister mentioned
the Newman government in her speech at the trophy presentations,
you'll get my drift.

One can't anticipate or know what the police are really after when
then knock on your door. They are allowed to lie to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer