[LINK] Jamming GPS seems to be pretty easy

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jan 14 08:54:43 AEDT 2014

On 09/01/14 15:08, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> hmmm....I wonder if this is what caused this woman's problem:
> http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/woman-locked-inside-audi-q3-on-41degree-day-20140108-30hde.html

It is unlikely that a short range GPS jammer in one car would cause
enough interference to disable a wireless smart key in another. GPS
operates on a much higher frequency than a car remote. Of course as most
such jammers are illegal and obtained illicitly, they may not be very
well made and so cause interference to more than just GPS.

Apart from location, GPS is also widely used as an accurate timing
signal, including by some wireless networks. So jamming GPS could cause
problems for some communications systems, particularly mobile phone
networks.

ps: If worried about being trapped in a car, carry an escape tool. This
is a small pointed steel probe, which can break the toughened glass of a
car side window (not the laminated windscreen). There are pocket size
versions which can be carried on a keyring and larger units which look
like a plastic hammer, to keep in the car. These usually also include a
seatbelt cutter. I purchased a glow in the dark model:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2012/01/glow-in-dark-car-emergency-hammer.html

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/