[LINK] Functional Programming

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Thu Jul 10 01:35:05 AEST 2014

Stephen Loosley wrote:
> "Facebook uses functional programming to make News Feeds run smoothly"
>
> Functional programming has been instrumental in helping debug complex code issues, one Facebook development team has found
>
> By Joab Jackson 08 July, 2014  http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/549435

Whao ... I was wondering what a Facebook programming article was doing on AARNET ...
but my brain had a "typo" ...

> Facebook went with a novel programming methodology, called functional programming,

Novel, eh?

> The academic community has long championed functional programming as a superior technique

Not so novel. Lambda calculus and functional techniques date back to the 50s.
Novel to the reporter does not novel make.

Nontheless, a very interesting article. Thanks Stephen.

cheer
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.
     -- Swahili proverb