[LINK] web: Internet users cannot be sued for browsing the web, ECJ rules | Technology ...

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Jun 9 09:22:26 AEST 2014

This is interesting nit picking, especially the very last sentences:

      http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/internet-users-cannot-be-sued-for-browsing-the-web-ecj-rules

The battle between Meltwater and the NLA started in a copyright
tribunal, which ruled that the NLA had to reduce the fees it charged
to media monitors. The NLA appealed to the high court, and won on two
points of legal principle.

The first, that internet users need a license for temporary copies of
webpages stored on their computers, was overturned on Thursday. [by
the EU Court of Justice]

The second point was that headlines can be covered by copyright, even
if they are only reproduced to link back to the original article.
That ruling still stands.
------------

I would assume that is for non-fair dealing uses, e.g. exempted
indexes, research, commentary, etc. Or else I'm confused. 'Links'
have always been exempt in the past. Maybe it's just in terms of the
media monitors??

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer