[LINK] The right to be forgotten

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 23 12:10:38 AEST 2014

At 10:59 AM 23/06/2014, Jim Birch wrote:

>Where does the "right" to be forgotten fit into this picture?  Reputation
>is an important mechanism for maintaining cooperation.  It can sound
>unforgiving but requiring people to care for their reputations appears to
>me to be something to not drop lightly.  Indeed, the growing libertarian
>world view where the individual has primacy, unencumbered by responsibility
>back to society, seems to me to pose a basic threat to cooperative aka
>civil society.

Thanks for that logical analysis, Jim. Do you do this sort of social
analysis for a living? It read as if published.

Anyway, the last paragraph exposes a sort of perverse irony. Because
of the selfish libertarian perspective, major threats to civilisation
are now in play, so we, as a species, may not have to worry about it
much longer. Maybe we are a self-limiting species after all, like a
virus that burns itself out by destroying the host, but with no where
else to go.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital
http://www.amazon.com/On-Lifes-Edge-J-Whitaker/dp/1499787154/
Australia Amazon: ebook only
http://www.amazon.com.au/Lifes-Edge-J-Whitaker-ebook/dp/B00KYW2YA8/
and other Kindle sites around the world.
Available 13 June on Kindle

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer