[LINK] Gumtree

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 30 08:18:11 AEST 2014

At 02:45 AM 30/06/2014, Scott Howard you wrote:

>It's not just Gumtree being hit by this over the past few days, there's a
>lot of sites being redirected to the same 2 sites.  Talk is that it's via
>an advertising network being abused and not the actual sites themselves,
>but I haven't looked close enough to be sure.

There is something very strange going on in the ebook world as well.
Here's the story -

My book turned up on ebookily.to, a site that says it is just an
index of 'free' ebooks (even though it has grabbed my copyright cover
and book description to put on their site). They say to download it,
here's the link to a site called urbooklibrary.com. When you go
there, they insist you sign up, and shunt you off to a different
subscription site each time you try. Of course I've not subscribed to
anything because I suspect that network of different 'services' to be
phishing/scam sites. One did trigger a WOT warning (web of trust is a
Firefox add-on warning system).

I doubt very much that one site would sign up to and randomly point
to different subscription managers. Perhaps Gumtree is caught up in
that and Google decided it wasn't worth the risk either. I sent a
DMCA notice to Google and they removed the cache of my index page,
but not ebookily. Yahoo, which I discovered is a rebadged Bing site
sent me to Microsoft. No idea what they've done. But they did respond
to me asking for specific info about the problem. I also sent a
takedown notice to urbooklibrary, which is located in Hong Kong.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital
http://www.amazon.com/On-Lifes-Edge-J-Whitaker/dp/1499787154/
Australia Amazon: ebook only
http://www.amazon.com.au/Lifes-Edge-J-Whitaker-ebook/dp/B00KYW2YA8/
and other Kindle sites around the world.
Available 13 June on Kindle

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer