[LINK] RFI: Overseas Payments

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Tue Mar 18 20:22:43 AEDT 2014

At 06:38 PM 18/03/2014, Roger Clarke wrote:

>Okay, I need to wait to make sure it goes through okay;  but the
>professionalism of the site, the terms, the process and the
>call-centre, combined with the vicarious experience from two sources,
>gives me a fair degree of confidence.

Sorry I wasn't here to get in on the discussion when it was
happening. I use OzForex a service of Macquarie. They do great hand
holding. Once the account is set up, it just works. Higher dollar
amounts reduce the fees. Their spread is far more competitive than
banks. I walked out of Bendigo Bank when they wanted to charge 3%+
above the cash rate. It didn't use to be that way. Saved me something
like $400 to my benefit in just the exchange rate difference on one
transaction. Also didn't have to wait the 28 day cheque clearance
period. My money showed up in my account in I think 2 days. No wire fee either.

Unlike Roger, I use it to move money here from an overseas account.
All legal. Nothing funny business (in case ASIO et al are reading
this). So it can work both ways if they have a transaction bank in
the originating country as well.

Banks charge like wounded bulls for very poor service, IMO.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer