[LINK] Flash drives in the sea?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu May 1 09:32:58 AEST 2014

On 29/04/14 20:42, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> ... Airlines Flight 370 ... Tony Abbott, calls “probably the most difficult search in human
> history,” ...

The searchers were mostly sitting in air-conditioned comfort, so it is
not quite the same test of human endurance as Bernard O'Reilly's solo
trek through the rugged McPherson Range in Queensland, to find aircraft
VH-UHH Brisbane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_O%27Reilly_%28author%29

Also the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and Royal Australian Navy
(RAN) found and rescued Tony Bullimore and Therry Dubois from the
Southern Ocean in 1997 (my job was to do the web pages about the rescue,
most of which seem to have been deleted):
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/1997/01697.html

> When so much is connected to the Internet, why is the aerospace
> industry using technology that predates fax machines to look for
> flash drives in the sea? ...

Automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) provides the position
of airliners in populated areas:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2008/07/improved-air-traffic-control-with.html

Outside the area covered by ADS-B, crew will report the aircraft's
position by radio. Airliners also carry radio beacons to be activated
after a crash.

Programming the aircraft satellite communications to transmit periodic
position reports may help post-accident investigation, but it is not
going to assist those on board and may pose a risk to the aircraft.

The ANU and Australian Computer Society run a course in "Systems and
Software Safety" (COMP8180), with staff from the the High Integrity
Systems Engineering group, University of York, to teach how to build
such systems: http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/course/COMP8180

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/