[LINK] Australian Government abandons CIO role

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed May 7 16:51:51 AEST 2014

<brd>
Excuse me for responding to my own posting, but I've been told about
Recommendation 62 b from the National Commission of Audit "consolidating
the e-Government effort through a single team under the leadership of a
Chief Digital Officer;"

And in the details:
"The transition to e-Government would have far more traction if core
expertise was consolidated in a single team led by a chief digital officer.

This would be a senior role filled by an accomplished private sector
leader who has driven a major digital transition process. This person
should report directly to the Minister for Communications."

My questions are:

What's a "chief digital officer" - i.e. what skills should (s)he have
and what's (s)he supposed to do?

What's a "major digital transition process" and have any already
happened? If so, are they relevant to government?

Why report to the Minister for Communications when the department of
communications is an externally facing department, not a central department?

</brd>

--

Regards
brd