[LINK] Uber?

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Tue May 13 14:03:39 AEST 2014

OTOH

I haven't used it but Uber is actually *loved* by a lot of people in cities
with a good Uber presence: fast, cheap and a more interesting way of
getting around.   It uses a reputation - like what  has made eBay work so
well - for drivers, so loonies don't get jobs, and IIRC for clients.  The
end of the grumpy right-wing- nut-job taxi driver?  It also has probably
better security that the taxi system since everyone is ID'd.

Let's face it, the taxi system has ended up as a rentseeking scam in most
places.  Why should taxi plates be worth gazillions?  Uber may get a
significant first coloniser advantage but they won't be as bad as the
system they are replacing.  They are open to competition and disruption
themselves.  (I expect them all to be largely wiped out in a couple of
decades by driverless cloud cars.)  As an actual ride share system it has
an environmental benefit though not necessarily as a backdoor taxi system.
  If the taxis had any brains they would introduce their own app that
allowed ride sharing and driver rating right now but I expect they will go
down the path of manipulating government.

Jim