[LINK] IT matters of interest in the 2014/2015 Federal Budget

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue May 20 08:20:12 AEST 2014

Frank,

What you need to join or start a charitable, artistic or scientfic one - if you believe in one of
those.

Ofcourse, it is odd that the government needs to put money into Chaplaincy in schools, as we already
support Religious organisations, through tax and rates exemption,  to provide "pastoral care".

https://www.ato.gov.au/Non-profit/Fringe-benefits-tax/In-detail/FBT---GST/Religious-institutions--access-to-tax-concessions/

> Charitable institutions registered under the Taxation Administration Act 2001 may be exempt from paying duty, land tax or payroll tax in particular circumstances.
> Once you have registered as a charitable institution, you may be eligible for exemptions from duty on:
>
>     * acquiring dutiable property
>     * general insurance premiums
>     * registering or transferring vehicles
>
> if the property is used solely or mainly for a qualifying exempt purpose (that is, for the core activities of the institution). See sections 414–419 of the Duties Act 2001.
> Once you have registered as a charitable institution, you may be eligible for an exemption from land tax if:
>
>     * the land is used predominantly by the institution for 1 or more exempt purposes
>     * the vacant land will be used predominantly for 1 or more exempt purposes within 3 years after the land was acquired (or longer if we extend the use requirement period).
> Payroll tax exemptions apply to wages paid or payable by a registered charitable institution to a person who is engaged exclusively in working for:
>
>     * the charitable institution for a qualifying exempt purpose
>     * another charitable institution that is either a hospital or non-tertiary educational institution. The work must be of a kind ordinarily performed in connection with the conduct of a hospital or non-tertiary educational institution for the exemption to apply.
https://www.osr.qld.gov.au/legislation-rulings/general/charitable-institutions.shtml

Marghanita