[LINK] Renewable energy 'simply WON'T WORK'

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at zoho.com
Wed Nov 26 00:21:07 AEDT 2014

---- On Mon, 24 Nov 2014  Michael writes ----

> There's no reason we can't maintain a steady or shrinking environmental
> footprint, while still having improving efficiencies - if we prioritise. These
> articles stating renewables can't cope with infinite growth are garbage.
> The only possible solution is to adopt a model that does not rely on a
> continually growing ecological footprint. Personally, I'm optimistic ...

Agree, Michael. Certainly an interesting Link conjecture, but premature?

South Australia already generates a third of their electricity via the wind.

And, certainly the world International Enery Agency is solar-power bullish.

For example, they note, "The sun could well be the world’s largest source of
electricity by 2050, ahead of fossil fuels, wind, hydro and nuclear, according
to a pair of reports issued today by the International Energy Agency (IEA).

Combined, solar technologies could prevent the emission of more than 6 billion
tonnes of carbon dioxide per the year by 2050 – more than all current energy
related CO2 emissions from the United States or today almost all of the direct
emissions from the entire transport sector worldwide.

“The rapid cost decrease of photovoltaic modules and systems in the last few
years has opened new perspectives for using solar energy as a major source of
electricity in the coming years and decades,” said IEA Executive Director Maria
van der Hoeven.

A central message in both publications deals with the need for clear, credible
and consistent signals from policy makers, which can lower deployment risks
to investors and inspire confidence. “By contrast,” Ms. Van der Hoeven said,
“where there is a record of policy incoherence, confusing signals or stop-go
policy cycles, investors end up paying more for their investment, consumers
pay more for energy, and projects that are needed simply won't go ahead.”

http://www.iea.org/newsroomandevents/pressreleases/2014/september/how-solar-energy-could-be-the-largest-source-of-electricity-by-mid-century.html

Possibly the only major issues regards energy are some current governments.

Cheers,
Stephen