[LINK] Is it true??? HFC can carry 100MBS ...

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:13:04 AEDT 2015

My understanding is DOCSIS 3.1 can give a per segment bandwidth of 10Gbps
down / 1Gbps up, although I would expect if a certain amount of bandwidth
is used by Foxtel it may be lower in practice. It would seem NBNCo have a
plan to deploy DOCSIS 3.1 across their HFC networks (
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/12/nbn_co_adopts_10gbps_docsis_31_from_2017/
)

That bandwidth is indeed shared between all users on a given cable segment
- the smaller you make each segment, the less oversubscription. What will
be interesting is seeing how NBNCo deal with the trade-offs between cost of
deploying more HFC nodes to make each segment smaller as bandwidth demands
increase.