[LINK] Thieves using a $17 power amplifier to break into cars with remote keyless systems

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Apr 22 15:42:44 AEST 2015

On 2015-04-22 15:11 Kim Holburn wrote:

>> On 22/04/2015 1:31 PM, Jim Birch wrote:
>>> It might be possible to develop signalling strategies that detect a repeater signal.  It might also be possible to backrev a good old entry button (or an off switch) into the key.
>>
>> Or, you could, you know, just do away with this nonsense and have a good fashioned key. No need to put that in the freezer or do all this whiz bang computer checking or biometrics or fancy this or that.
>>
>> Ridiculous.
>>
>> The technoculture always seems to be an end in-and-of itself rather than a means-to-an-end.
>

> Have to agree with this.  It's simple really.  Just don't do it.  What's the problem this was meant to fix?

As I stated in a previous post, both keyless entry and / or the usual wireless-based finger-operated lock-unlock function in the Prius-C, at least, can be switched off by a dealer if the owner wishes.

The latter, in particular, has been around for a long time and should be really easy to forge by recording the signals when owners get into their cars.

I'm quite critical of a lot of techie gadgets, which do little of real value and only complicate things.  And we have to remember every increase in complexity entails an increase in vulnerability.  (I heard of a situation this afternoon where a family with an ultra-modern house which only had electrically-operated doors found they had to climb in & out of the windows because grid power had failed during the recent weather :-).

SO call me soft, but now I have one I'm not about to disable it!  When you're trying to get into the car in pouring rain without an unbrella, or carrying stuff and can't fish around for the keys, there's nothing like it.

David L.