[LINK] Thieves using a $17 power amplifier to break into cars with remote keyless systems

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Apr 22 16:38:27 AEST 2015

On 2015-04-22 16:04 Jim Birch wrote:

> If the key signal can be recorded and played back this would be extremely weak security.  I would have expected the car to require a response calculated from a paired cryptographic key, ie, challenge the key, not the driver.

I think the issue there would be that "relay attack" devices form a passive system which derives its effectiveness only from the fact that physical separation of key & car is no longer relevant.  So any protocol implemented within the car & key system (i.e. without intervention by the owner) will have the same problem.

But it occurs to me that a simple switch on the key fob so the driver can turn it off when not expecting to use the car for a while would be highly effective.

David L.