[LINK] Age website

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Sun Aug 16 18:05:23 AEST 2015

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:28:24 +1000, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> Hi all
> I noticed that some(?) pages fromt The Age online aren't resolving
> completely due to 'waiting for p.jwpcdn.com' .

That domain is part of, or associated with, JWPlayer, which is what most of
the Fairfax sites use to play videos. I gather it's an analytics tracking
component of JWPlayer - according to this page:

How to turn off analytics in free JWPlayer 6
http://blog.georgechalhoub.com/2014/12/how-to-turn-off-analytics-in-free.ht
ml
which says:

	"... If you get JWPlayer for free, the player won't load without having to
get some signature from JW Player. The signature includes loading
javascript files from jwpcdn.com like (jwpsrv_frq.js and jwpsrv_frq.js) and
pinging .gif which seems to get analytics that you don't care about.

	When the player opens on an end-userÆs browser, and if for any reason it
cannot reach the JW CDN, it will fail to produce a working player. Instead
the end-user will be confronted with:"Could not load plugins: File not
found"..."

I discovered that recently when attempting to configure NoScript in
recently installed Pale Moon browser (I've given up on Opera -too many
changes I don't like). If NoScript or anything else blocks jwpcdn.com, then
videos on SMH, The Age and Brisbane Times won't play. I think I discovered
AFR uses some other player, can't remember for sure off hand.

Irene