[LINK] Surviving Climate Change

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at zoho.com
Tue Jan 20 22:45:36 AEDT 2015

Interesting isn't it Janet.

What does the future of the earth look like?

You do seem pessimistic .. especially as a result of climate change .. whilst, the study quoted may seem optimistic.

And sure, I might agree, climate change might well cause an end to humankind. On our newly very warm, wet planet surely the biosphere will necessarily go viral. Earth will simply be layered with a ball of living cells. That is, microbal life occupying every environmental niche possible. And with survival of the fittest, most of this rampant microbial life filling the air, the water and covering every land surface would become deadly to any humans trying desperately to co-exist?

Eg: www.ntnews.com.au/news/only-in-the-territory/culture-shock-for-driver-as-mould-takes-over/story-fnk2tg5d-1226812807005

But, that's basically one worst case climate change outcome. Personally I'm more optimistic. But I would like to hear other Linker opinions.

And, anyway, luckily the BBC with their "Infographic Guide to Doomsday Threats" are also much more optimistic. They say that the death of bees is the only think likely to do us in within the next five years. They say climate change death and disaster is only one possible eventuality within this century. So, we've got plenty of time to worry about that.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141230-apocalypse-when

Helpfully, each potential BBC armageddon scenario is ranked on a very handy scale, from “keep calm” to “it’s all over”, and it's indicated whether it's a man-made or natural threat, and how quickly it could wipe out humanity. The rankings are based on the judgement of the BBC, using data from NASA, Universe Today and futurist Nick Bostrom etc etc. One can see an interesting list of all their armageddon sources here:

https://docs.google.com/a/sciencealert.com.au/spreadsheets/d/1fUF6Fyp3pRD2cPusG9FnusD0D49LBeHnKAULQsRCePY/edit#gid=1715172179

Anyway Janet, whether we survive a short while, a long while, or even the next five years .. it's been fun .. so long and thanks to your mum.

All the best :)

Stephen Loosley

---- On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:18:09 +1100 Janet Hawtin  wrote ----