[LINK] Any one else suffering Adobephobia?

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Thu Jul 16 11:21:15 AEST 2015

On 2015-07-15 10:36 JanW  wrote:

> It looks like Adobe has been working on this sandbox for awhile now, starting with IE.

Interesting...  Does that mean Adobe have given up on fixing all the bugs in Windows Flash, or perhaps there are architectural problems which make security problems inevitable?

I believe Adobe announced the end of Flash for mobiles some time ago and Flash for Linux was stopped at 11.2 except for security updates.  A Flash roadmap dated February 2012 sets out Adobe's strategic direction - see
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

QUOTE
Strategic focus of the Flash runtimes

With the growth of competition in the browser market, browser vendors are increasingly innovating and providing functionality that makes it possible to deploy rich motion graphics directly via browser technologies, a role once served primarily by Flash Player.  Increasingly, rich motion graphics are being deployed directly via the browser using HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and other modern web technologies.  Adobe expects that this trend will continue and accelerate, and Adobe will continue to play an active role in this space.

Adobe believes that the Flash runtimes are particularly and uniquely suited for two primary use cases: creating and deploying rich, expressive games with console-quality graphics and deploying premium video.

This focus does not mean that existing content will no longer run, or that Flash cannot be used for content other than gaming and premium video.  However, it does mean that when prioritizing work, gaming and premium video use cases will take priority.
UNQUOTE

So where they want to be is clear, but now Flash is being so widely deprecated one wonders whether that's realistic.

It seems some big industry players are working hard on Flash-to-HTML5 conversion.  The basic PDF format is actually a published standard (ISO/IEC 32000-1:2008), but I was a little surprised to see the SWF format produced by ActionScript3 is also publicly available at http://adobe.com/go/flashspecs/

A review of current conversion work dated May 2015 is available at
http://www.statsilk.com/blog/flash-versus-html5-wallaby-and-swiffy-conversion-tools-review

This company has some very interesting interactive statistical maps, but they rely on Flash so you can see why they have an interest in HTML5!

David L.