[LINK] Huawei GPON ONT support is a joke. In .AU too?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:28:46 AEST 2015

If you buy a Huawei "consumer" device, things are relatively "normal" with
regards to the availability of fiwmare updates.
If, however, you have a device that Huawei thinks is for "business" use
(despite the fact that GPON optical network terminators can be and ARE
installed at homes!), then things are dismal.

See this thread about users practically  begging for access to firmware
updates, and Huawei employees giving them the round-about treatment.

http://support.huawei.com/ecommunity/bbs/10241147.html?p=1#p10481745

...only to tell them in the end that their users accounts lacks the
required "Huawei partner" permission level. (by which I guess they meant
some sort of support subscription).

...and In the end someone else (another consumer) ends up pointing to a
Russian forum which hosts the binary files (and good luck with that....
integrity of such files is anybody´s guess).

I´ve never seen before another firm with such a high "protection" of its
firmware files -protection in the sense of stonewalling them and preventing
people from downloading ´em-. It´s as if they preferred users to keep
running insecure, out of date firmware.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do any Australian ISPs install Huawei
ONTs? How is the situation with regards to firmware security updates
handled? Do those ISPs offer firmware updates themselves, like I see some
Russian ISPs do, or does the customer just don´t need to worry about it and
the units are automatically updated by the ISP?

Thanks in advance for any information and ideas.
FC

act
- George Orwell