[LINK] Let's pause before drinking the 'coding in schools' Kool-Aid

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Fri Jun 5 11:11:12 AEST 2015

At 11:00 AM 5/06/2015, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>Arguing somewhat against my suggestion that STEM is the way to go, I
>suggest that the most important skill is "critical thinking".

Yep, I agree with that. It's another level higher again in the hierarchy of 'skills'.

Creativity is another at that level.

I just came across (again via twitter connections) a new-ish program at UWS that is along these lines.
http://theacademy.edu.au/

http://jamesarvanitakis.net/how-do-we-teach-creativity/
How do we teach creativity?
Posted on April 1, 2015 by James Arvanitakis

IMG_3493This semester at my university, the University of Western Sydney, I have been responsible for the introduction of three new subjects: Creativity, Innovation and Design, Introduction to Critical Thinking; and Research Stories.

Along with a fourth subject, Leadership in a Complex World, they form the suite of subjects for a new Bachelor’s Degree we have launched as part of The Academy program.

This is at university. The program is cross-disciplinary.

Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer