[LINK] Internet Voting and Cybersecurity: What Could Go Wrong?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Mar 20 09:26:42 AEDT 2015

J. Alex Halderman, University of Michigan, will speak on "Internet
Voting and Cybersecurity: What Could Go Wrong?" at the Australian
National University in Canberra, 6pm 23 March 2015:
http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/more/SID/3635

ABSTRACT

Internet voting has the potential to ease voter participation, reduce
fraud, and provide a high-tech upgrade to traditional polling methods.

Unfortunately, it also raises some of the most difficult challenges in
computer security, due to the need to safeguard election servers and
voters' computers against a variety of powerful attackers while
simultaneously protecting the secret ballot. How well can election
technology defend against modern cyber threats?

To find out, colleagues and I performed in-depth security evaluations of
Internet voting systems used in the U.S. and other countries. In
Estonia--the world's most significant user of online voting--we found
staggering gaps in the system design and procedures that leave elections
vulnerable to attackers such as foreign powers and dishonest election
officials. Such attackers could change votes, compromise privacy,
disrupt returns, or cast doubt on the integrity of results. In a
separate study, we took part in a public trial of an Internet voting
system introduced by Washington, D.C.

Within 48 hours of the system going live, we had complete control of the
server and changed all the votes. These findings illustrate the
practical obstacles to securing Internet voting and carry lessons for
all countries considering adopting such systems

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/