[LINK] New centimeter-accurate GPS system from mobile size antenna

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Sat May 9 13:21:08 AEST 2015

On 2015-05-09 08:08 Andy Farkas wrote:

>> Call me a cynic, but I think it's just another technology looking for a market.  Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean it won't become a reality.

> Search for 'daimler driverless truck'.
>
> http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-899449-1-1810863-1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html

It seems Daimler's "autonomous driving" system still requires a driver.  In any case the report had no mention of any security considerations, and that's obviously something which would have to be dealt with if driverless (or even semi-driverless) vehicles were to be generally licenced to share the road with the rest of us.

Although I have to confess I didn't have time to read the whole article, I don't think it mentioned any potential problems regarding areas with poor GPS signals, as occur for example in areas with high-rise buildings or in tunnels, which must severely limit the scope of the technology.  Maybe the highways could have dedicated truck lanes isolated with crash barriers with drivers taking over at town boundaries; the trucking industry could even be required to pay for them (:-).

But I agree the notion of completely automated road vehicles is a great concept, my difficulties with it concern the gap between concept and practical implementation.  I'm happy with driverless trains, the paths of which are far more constrained because they run on tracks with lots of safety infrastructure!

QUOTE
Initial research findings of Daimler Trucks clearly show autonomous driving relieves the strain of truck drivers

Initial research findings of Daimler Trucks clearly show autonomous driving relieves the strain of truck drivers
The Highway Pilot technology from Daimler Trucks demonstrably leads to more concentrated and thus more efficient long-haul truck drivers. This is a result of studies conducted on a cordoned-off test route during the pilot stage of the technology. Measurements of the probands´ brain currents (EEG) demonstrated that driver drowsiness decreases by about 25% when the truck is being operated in autonomous mode, and the driver all the while pursuing other meaningful operations. The studies also prove a high acceptance of the Highway Pilot technology and a rapid adaption phase of the probands. Relieving strains of the driver through autonomous truck driving leads to more road safety.
UNQUOTE

David L.