[LINK] Australian Government spending $256M to transform government but wasting $485M on failed eHealth system

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri May 15 15:53:02 AEST 2015

On 15-May-15 12:54 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
> The Electronic Health Record project is just one of those impossible
> things. No more money! stop it now. It's beyond the Auditor-General,
> it's beyond everyone.
> The failure is collective: there is no small group of individuals who
> failed to say "no, minister" (or "no, permanent secretary"), it's
> collective hubris.

Hubris - a word I have used myself in this context.

IMHO, the arrogance starts with a piece of flawed logic: "IT has been
successfully used in many areas, therefore it should be used for health
records." The PCEHR is a technical solution applied in an area where the
technology is only a very small part of the problem. As Chris points
out, the social
constraints and drivers are worse than the technical requirements. I'd
put them at least an order of magnitude worse.

The first step in creating health information systems (that's
information systems, not IT) is to recognise that it's all about how
better use of information can lead to changes in the way health care
works. Very few, if any, IT professionals know anything about how health
care works. The number of people (including health care workers, public
servants, IT professionals and even health infomatics people) who know
how health care systems could be significantly improved through better
processes based upon enhanced information is probably close to zero.

Until this is recognised, nothing the government does will work.
Progress in health information systems has to be made slowly,
experimentally and carefully. We are in uncharted waters and people's
lives are at risk.

--

Regards
brd