[LINK] State Records NSW: New minimum requirements for metadata for authoritative records and information

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Nov 24 17:00:27 AEDT 2015

On 24/11/2015 3:37 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> The new minimum requirements state that in order to be authoritative, records and information must possess metadata recording:
>>
>>      a description of the content of records and information
>>      the structure of records and information
>>      the business context in which records and information were created or received and used
>>      relationships with other records, information and metadata
>>      business actions and events
>>      information that may be needed to retrieve and present records and information.
> http://futureproof.records.nsw.gov.au/new-minimum-requirements-for-metadata-for-authoritative-records-and-information/

In the old days, (i.e before the personal computer and then the Internet
came along) when well trained professionals built proper Information
Systems, an Information Architect would develop deliverables that would
document all those requirements. You didn't build the system without them.

Now-days, with a world full of people who have drifted into IT with no
formal education in technology and/or information systems development,
systems just get hacked together with no proper analysis and/or
architecture basis.

Even the term Information Architecture has been hijacked to mainly mean
the structure of data on a website.
See this page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_architecture
which seems to have been written by people who created the  Information
Architecture Institute.

And they probably think they are being creative and innovative.

It's going to take a while before we return to a world with a proper
understanding of information and information architecture. In the mean
time we end up with websites like myGov and Centrelink's and the PCEHR.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn