[LINK] Okay for PM to Use Non-Government Internet Services

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Sat Oct 10 11:29:55 AEDT 2015

On 10/10/2015 9:12 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> I told ABC TV that it was okay for the Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull,
> to use non-government telecommunications services:
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-09/malcolm-turnbull-continues-to-use-non-government-email-service/6839684

That's a brave thing to claim, especially these paragraphs:

<quote>
"If you're using a commercial email service that's being carried through
the telecommunications network, it will be covered by all of the same
rules that apply to a Government-based service."

Mr Worthington said it was an example of a Prime Minister's office
adjusting to new technology.

"This is how we should be running the Government today," Mr Worthington
said.

"Barack Obama famously uses his device for doing this. I would hope that
other ministers and members of parliament follow this example, but that
they just check to make sure they're using the secure facilities that
are appropriate for what they're doing."
<end quote>

Have a look at this:
http://news.yahoo.com/why-obama-cant-iphone-211044128.html

<quote>
It may be that the president isn't allowed to speak on his BlackBerry
outside of controlled environments. BlackBerry voice calls are normally
handled by regular cellular carriers, not a BES, but the White House and
presidential limousine may have their own cellular networks.
<end quote>

It is highly likely that the president only uses cellular phones for
voice and text only through private (i.e. government owned and
controlled) cellular networks.

If you are going to cite the president's use of technology as
justification for Australian ministers doing the same, it is probably a
good idea to explain exactly what the Americans are actually doing, not
what they appear to be doing.

If Australian ministers are using ordinary smartphones on public
networks, even if they are using encrypted email, they are potentially
giving away far too much information, especially their location.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn