[LINK] web: The NBN satellite Malcolm Turnbull never wanted prepares for liftoff

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Tue Sep 1 11:34:17 AEST 2015

On 31/08/2015 10:39 PM, Andy Farkas wrote:
> I'm in rural Queensland. Fibre is not an option.
Over what time-frame?

I'm old enough to remember party lines and overhead wires across
paddocks. We ended up with underground copper in some pretty remote parts.

Where there's copper, why can't it eventually be replaced with fibre?
How remote must a location be before fibre is _not ever_ an option? Is
the time factor a problem? Can't we, as a nation, cope with something
that might take a while?

To my mind, the NBN is not a project with a rational end date. At least,
not one that anyone reading this is likely to live to see.

Bear in mind that the service life of fibre could be a century or more,
so it's a long-term investment. Certainly a better investment than
copper or wireless. Albeit wireless and satellite will probably remain
necessary stop-gaps.

On 31/08/2015 9:39 PM, Craig Sanders wrote:
 > when the wifi gets congested, ...
Does NBN fixed wireless employ WiFi protocols? I understood it to be
dedicated, focused beams. As far as congestion is concerned, is NBN
fixed wireless any worse that any other shared bandwidth? If it's
dedicated beams, then any congestion would occur in the fibre feed to
the base station.

I apologise for my ignorance. All I've seen is marketing guff, which is
all froth an bubble. A link to something substantial would be a great help.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is
                                |  very probably wrong.