[LINK] Apprentices to build the On-line Future

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Sep 9 10:55:47 AEST 2015

Greetings from the ACS Canberra Branch 2015 Annual Conference, where
Chris Vein, CEO, Dome Advisory Services gave the Plenary Keynote,
on "Innovating Innovation – Creating the Next Generations of
Empowerment". Mr. Vein suggested that on-line services will empower
individuals to make their own choices. However, I suggest those choices
will be constrained by the service designer. There is the danger of a
dystopiain future where citizens lives are controlled through their
smart phones.

One suggestion from Mr. Vein I did agree with was about education:
companies would take in new staff direct from school and
train them in-house, rather than recruiting college and university
graduates. However, this is not a new concept, these are
called "apprentices" or "cadets". In Canberra, the Australian Public
Service has ICT Apprenticeship and ICT Cadetship programs. Also these
programs work with higher education institutions, not replace them.

More at:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2015/09/the-myth-of-service-economy-and.html

Tweets at: https://twitter.com/hashtag/ACSCanCon

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/