[LINK] NBN service accessibility [Was: web: The NBN satellite Malcolm Turnbull never wanted prepares for liftoff]

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Fri Sep 11 20:36:48 AEST 2015

On 2015-09-11 13:07 Jim Birch wrote:

> Once upon a time the sort of speed you can get now from the radio or satellite connections was sufficient for anything the Internet could throw at you. Everything was lightweight. Of course, the NBN does disadvantage rural users relatively by allowing the Internet to work at adequate speed in cities.

It would be interesting to see what applications were practicable (and impracticable) with end-to-end data rates & latencies typical of NBN satellite, wireless, and fibre / DSL connections.  I've long wondered about the relationship between technology and real-world utility, and I suspect utility is a decreasing function of speed / latency.  Proper end-to-end QoS management makes a difference too.

If a RaR user has to download a movie instead of streaming it, they're still far better off than they might have been.  Not that I'm supporting the Coalition's fibre-to-the-whatever proposal....

David L.