[LINK] Of Fossildom and Other Ailments

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 13 10:49:51 AEST 2015

At 10:25 AM 13/09/2015, Roger Clarke wrote:
>A personal declaration:
>
>"I personally use the cloud as little as possible. My e-mail is on my own computer -- I am one of the last Eudora users -- and not at a web service like Gmail or Hotmail. I don't store my contacts or calendar in the cloud.

Tick to all that for me, but I do the next bits, NOT Facebook, but I do use Twitter, Dropbox and Evernote.

There are still a lot of Eudora users out there because it just works. We've made it over the hump of supposed benefits of the other options. The most problems I get to deal with for email in our computer club is with Windows Livemail.

What is a shame is that the big data reliant businesses are becoming more aggressive toward any final resistance. The imposed updates from Win10 being one, regardless of the data channel, quota, timing or end equipment ending up being broken.

There are alternatives to Google, thank god. And I don't really need to play those stupid games on Android. I can survive that without selling my soul for entertainment. What used to have no strings are now full of them if you allow updates. And now, if you've come late to the game, the strings can't be avoided as far as I can tell. What they ask for is plain scary. How are the kids who do know better avoiding them?

May be time to seriously consider a shift to Linux.

Jan