[LINK] RFI: Quality in Emergency Phone-Location

Michael mike at bystander.net
Tue Sep 15 09:37:37 AEST 2015

On 12 September 2015 at 14:09, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au>
wrote:

> I'm wondering how come it took 5 extra days to get "more precise
> information on where her phone last contacted a tower".

My guess is she is a Telstra customer so the connection to Black Mountain
tower was recorded as it registered to Black Mountain, allowing them to
draw a ring in which her phone was located.
If they later analysed Optus/Vodafone records too, as Isaacs Ridge is
Optus/Voda only, and found handshake signals it would allow them to
triangulate (well, get two points, where the rings intersect).
It doesn't surprise me it took several days to coordinate between the
different networks and/or for somebody to have the idea to check the
records of the competitors network.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs