[LINK] (no subject)

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Tue Sep 22 09:34:26 AEST 2015

On 22/09/15 08:38, Tom Worthington wrote:
> On 21/09/15 12:03, Andy Farkas wrote:
>
>> The first FttN enabled areas go live today ...
> First NBN FttN in Australia?

Yes. Although it could still be called a trial as these are
the trial build areas. Belmont, NSW.

> There is also a news item which seems to suggest Malcolm Turnbull built
> the NBN (perhaps by waving his hands, parting the soil for the fibre,
> like a latter day Moses):

Malcs likes to take credit for all the base work Quigly did. He
poo-pooed the new satellites, but now they're part of *his* MTM.

But after 2 years of no MTM, a $19bn blowout, and 4 years
behind schedule, we get our first dibs at node-lotto (the further
away from the node, the slower the speed). And lets not talk
about reliability...

> "Malcolm Turnbull's NBN gets Newcastle 'hooked'", (David Ramli, AFR, Sep
> 21 2015):
> http://www.afr.com/technology/malcolm-turnbulls-nbn-gets-newcastle-hooked-20150908-gjhk6c

Is that the one where the Telstra techs had to come back
4 times to get his link 'optimised'?  And it took him over an
hour to download 5.6GB?  That's only 12mbps ya know.

David Ramli is not a journalist. He just rewords LNP pressers.

> And an even sillier version "Fast download with NBN trial
> ‘unbelievable’" (MATTHEW KELLY, Herald, Sept. 20, 2015):
> http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3361487/fast-download-with-nbn-trial-unbelievable/
>
> It is good to know that billions have been invested so Australians can
> quickly download episodes of Game of Thrones and send payment for it
> overseas. ;-)
>
> Perhaps we might consider using the NBN for something productive, like
> creating some content, or education?

I wonder if Malcs has heard of the 'cloud'...

-andyf