[LINK] Does NBN need a third satellite?

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Sat Apr 2 21:07:11 AEDT 2016

On 2/04/2016 1:54 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> What many in the IT world do not realise is that "compress" in the
> video world BY DEFAULT means "throw data away until the remainder is
> small enough". This is antithetical to the concept of high definition.
Yes, and the HDR UHD stream that exceeds NBN target bandwidth is AVC
compressed. Further compression would reduce the quality below
acceptable limits, as you say.

Tom seems to imply that I refer to uncompressed (though presumably not
raw) video in the stream.

--
David Boxall                    |  Perfection is achieved, not when
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  when there is nothing left to take
                                 |  away.
                                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery