[LINK] Damn the exponentials!

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Thu Apr 7 08:56:19 AEST 2016

<http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/computers/australian-downloading-sees-50-per-cent-increase-in-2015/news-story/14d8ef01e9a831cf9e651c165bcbfe7f>
> THEY’RE calling it the Netflix effect but whatever you want to label
> it, it’s increasingly clear that internet data is the life blood of
> the modern world.
>
> ... the rate of growth shown in the ABS figures is “not atypical”
> compared to our global counterparts.
> “Occasionally we get something such as the Netflix effect which causes
> a bump in average download use, he said. “But once you smooth those
> bumps out, we expect that kind of growth rate — 30 to 40 per — to
> continue for many years to come.”
> ... Mr Cross insists the current NBN rollout will be “sufficient” to
> allow Aussie homes to do what they want to do today.
> From the ABS data it’s clear our downloading habits are only going to
> increase, and when a time comes that we’re all streaming Netflix in 3D
> and communicating via personal holograms, the country will certainly
> need some superior broadband infrastructure.

Will the NBN, as currently planned, be: "“sufficient” to allow Aussie
homes to do what they want to do today."? Tomorrow?

Meanwhile, the demand curve continues on, inexorably exponential:
<http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/8153.0Main%20Features4December%202015?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=8153.0&issue=December%202015&num=&view=>

--
David Boxall                    |  My figures are just as good
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  I make them up myself, and they