[LINK] CWA urges action on data drought

Brendan brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 23 23:29:31 AEST 2016

On 04/23/2016 08:31 PM, David Boxall wrote:
> The impact of neglect by successive governments shouldn't surprise
> me, but I'm shocked.
> <http://www.theland.com.au/story/3862348/cwa-urges-action-on-data-drought/>

[]

>> Her daughter in law, who lives on a neighbouring property, started
>> to study a degree in agriculture from home – but had ot give it up
>> because the courses resources were streamed videos online.

[hobby horse]
But part of the problem is the fact that they are videos. My experience is that most videos add very little to the accompanying audio (unless there's something physical to be demonstrated) but come at a huge data cost. A slide pack + audio will adequately cover most things (and with better resolution).
Streaming just compounds the problem because you can't download it and watch it later.
[/hobby horse]