[LINK] Removing NBN's artificial barriers could stop our system being 'worst of both worlds'

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Fri Apr 29 11:48:35 AEST 2016

<http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/removing-nbns-artificial-barriers-could-stop-our-system-being-worst-of-both-worlds-20160427-gog22i.html>
I see some pretty substantial cultural biases here.

For private enterprise to survive, it needs viable markets. Most of
Australia is far less densely-populated than the United States. There
simply aren't enough people for viable markets.

Culturally, the States will tolerate far higher levels of inequity than
Australia. Australians would not be content with a situation in which
only places that have both population and entrepreneurs are adequately
served. It follows that more lucrative markets must subsidise the less
profitable. It's difficult to see how that could be achieved without a
monopoly; no rational mind would pretend that the mishmash we have in
Australia is working. As the article implies, public monopolies work
better than private.

Community initiative is valuable. It should be encouraged and supported.
The only viable framework for that support is the public sector.

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,