[LINK] Why do people permit third-party cookies?

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Fri Aug 5 11:55:06 AEST 2016

On 2016-08-05 11:19 Karl Auer wrote:

>> [Jan] This is a miss for me. Won't help our beginner/low intermediate users whatsoever.
>
> Sorry to be dismissive. There are a thousand bits of software that take a tad more effort to install than blind clicking on a big green button.
>
> Carry on with Chrome. Google loves you.

I wondered about that issue!  I think the reality is that any normal user will find the process of setting up a secure system way too complex & intimidating.

IMO that includes installation of a firewall (preferably an external one) and careful configuration of both it and the browser.  Some firewalls (I think including the Windows firewall) allow default access by every online game known to humanity and remote-support access, which I suppose minimises the support load.  Fortunately the Firefox browser is highly configurable using "about:config", but it allows third-party cookies and automatic updates by default.

What's needed is a one-click installation package which includes a browser (probably Firefox) and any desirable extensions (such as the EFF Privacy Badger), together with a script which runs around the system configuring the relevant components.  And the process should allow a back-out.

I don't know what the solution for the Computer Club is, Jan.  Maybe you could just deal with one small area at a time?  It would depend on their level of understanding.

David L.