[LINK] RFI: Census Site Implosion

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 11 06:54:02 AEST 2016

Mmmm …. and its still down now (6 am Thursday morning).

Bottom line: If there really was a series of DDOS attacks (which has been by no means proved, and will probably only be proved if third parties verify traffic stats .. and the ABS produces the logs) then the ABS are incompetent and should not be trusted to collect and store our data. If there wasn’t an attack, then the ABS are liars … as well as being incompetent.

Neither situation is good for the ABS, neither situation puts any of the ABS’s guarantees and indemnities regarding data security and the need for identity data in a good light (personally I can’t see any way that the requirement for names was anything but redundant data - with a security risk) , and neither will alleviate any concern over ABS policies, procedures and conduct of this Census.

And finally, spreading the data collection over two or three months - as now looks to be the case - will severely impact on the reliability and validity of the ‘snapshot of Australia’ that the Census is supposed to provide.

Just my 2 cents worth …
----