[LINK] Census: OAIC's Vacuous Pseudo-Investigation Report

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Aug 14 09:45:01 AEST 2016

On 12/08/16 12:39, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> ... how come the attackers knew to attack at 7pm ...

7 pm is the start of peak usage for the Internet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Rush_Hour

It is also the start of the peak time for electricity use, which is
something future cyber attacks will likely exploit.

I was not able to access the Census on my smart phone, presumingly
because the Opera Mini browser needs an overseas proxy and these are
blocked. I was able to use a laptop and the Firefox browser. The
interface was very responsive and completion took 20 minutes.

One question I was not sure about was "Is the person attending a school
or any other educational institution?". The Help does not mention
on-line or offshore institutions:
http://help.census.abs.gov.au/help/answer/care

The previous Census said "Include ... external or correspondence
students":
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/2011hhftranscript#q24

So I said "yes": the university I am "attending" is in North America and
I have never been to the campus.

ps: I noticed that the ABS is buying Google Ads saying: "There's still
time to complete your census".

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464