[LINK] https/metadata

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Wed Dec 7 09:19:59 AEDT 2016

Jim and Kim,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Jim Birch <planetjim at gmail.com> wrote:
> The actual DNS query and response content would not be visible at the
> metadata level level, it's inside the message.  The metadata says you
> contacted a dns server but not what you looked up.  The term "metadata"
> itself is a bit ambiguous, at any layer the stuff outside the layer wrapper
> is metadata and the stuff inside is content.
>
> As I see it, given that everything not just nefarious stuff gets encrypted,
> the best method for our protector overlords to find the bad guys would be
> analysing patterns in connection data.  You could develop some known
> bad-guy signatures and use the activity of identified targets to train the
> system.  Plus throw in any other profiling data you could scrounge.  I
> imagine this would work pretty well, given a humungous amount of storage
> and processing power.

I develop the integration with Maltego to
https://www.mnemonic.no/news/2015/mnemonic-offers-passive-dns-data-to-the-public/
and https://www.dnsdb.info/

TD:LR Privacy was the main driver when Paul Vixie developed Passive
DNS hence it is impossible to determine who made the DNS request.

https://www.farsightsecurity.com/assets/media/download/passive-dns-privacy.pdf
is his supporting document.

--
Regards,