[LINK] Talking about AI

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 12 16:33:39 AEDT 2016

Roger prompted with a paper he wrote that includes history. I was thinking of 'decision support systems', which were much more (but not completely) predictable than "AI" generally. At least you have a single domain to narrow in on. But as Dr Bob points out, diagnosis without a human being involved proved to be quite dicey. It also can lead to tunnel vision and overlooking context. Pretty good for stopping medicine interactions, but anything else? Not sure.

As I said to Roger, my prof in grad school, Vern Gerlach, was big on these things working on US Air Force projects, mostly flight training, when I was in Arizona.

Jan

At 01:14 PM 12/02/2016, Frank O'Connor you wrote:

>Ummm
 Heuristics maybe?

>There were a number of efforts in that area in the late 70’s and early 80’s.
>
>I remember one offering, called Eurisko from memory, that showed a lot of promise
 but it’s so long ago (!!!!) and I failed to  keep up with developments in that field.