[LINK] Joint Strike Fighter Senate Submission

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 16 09:37:15 AEDT 2016

Mmmmm, it’s amazing what politicians will spend money on - and where they elect to ‘economise’ to pay for it. Abbott’s government did elect to buy another 12 (at a cost of $10-12 billion), despite the fact that they’re running so far behind schedule that they’re likely to be superseded by next-gen tech before they go into service (assuming that happens)...

The F35, since its inception, has been dogged by bad news and reports if failure.

As I said to David Boxall a few days back:

"But the government has gone and bought another dozen or so F35’s (the all purpose fighter that is still effectively non-operational and years … soon to be a decade ...behind it’s advertised availability) at a cost of another $10-12 billion, as well as a couple more squadrons of F18 Super Hornets (to cover the lack of the F35 which was supposed to go into service 5 or 6 years back) at a cost of $6 billion… so apparently money is no object.

The F35 apparently has the aeronautical capabilities of brick, avionics which still don’t work (there are so many issues here its impossible to enumerate them all - but weapons targeting, the dinky helmet mounted pilot HUD, combat systems integration and a host of other ‘features’ don’t seem to work), loses it’s ‘radar invisibility’ when you open its weapons bays (no worries, Sport … you’re radar invisible as long as you don’t fight), and has an engine that doesn’t seem to work very well, or for very long - amongst other problems.

We are supposed to get two of them next year. Word is that a raffle is being run inside the RAAF, with a thousand winners and two losers. Guess who gets to fly the F35?

For mine: Drones make so much more sense …”

Just my 2 cents worth …
---