[LINK] Tomorrow’s Digitally Enabled Workforce

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Feb 26 12:51:49 AEDT 2016

Greetings from the Sydney Opera House where Senator Michaelia Cash,
Minister for Employment, launced the report "Tomorrow’s Digitally
Enabled Workforce" (Hajkowicz, Reeson, Rudd, Bratanova, Hodgers, Mason
and Boughen, 2016):
http://acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/95103/16-0026_DATA61_REPORT_TomorrowsDigiallyEnabledWorkforce_WEB_160128.pdf

The report does not contain any new insights on the future of work, but
is a useful compilation of conventional wisdom: IT will take over many
jobs and the workforce needs to be trained for more high-tech and also
human focused roles, with continual learning.The area where the report
is weak is in policy implications. After outlining what is going to
happen, the report does not really say what we, as a nation, should do
about it. As an educator, to me the implications are clear: we need to
train people with tech and social skills, but most importantly, people
who know about how to learn:
http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2016/02/tomorrows-digitally-enabled-workforce.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464