[LINK] How fast is the NBN?

Gerard Borg Gerard.Borg at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 27 12:55:23 AEDT 2016

Hello all

May I add the following.

- Even a single mode fibre can  do Tbps.  Limitations are the cost and
availability of  the electronic equipment  to extract the data  at the
end points.   The latter will  evolve with innovation. The  reason why
fibre can do Tbps is because of the available bandwidth in the optical
range.  There is also multimode optical fibre communications.

My guess is that, like WiFi routers, that end point equipment will one
day become a  routine upgrade. But can only happen  if we first trench
the fibre.

- Wireless is heading  toward 5G (timescale 5 years).   5G KPIs can be
seen here (a random website):
http://www2.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/bwn/5G_systems/index.html

Table 1 5G Requirements
Performance Indicator 	          Value
Peak Data Rate 	                  10 Gbps
Latency 	                  1 ms
Number of devices 	          1000x
Energy Efficiency 	          10x improvement
Reliability 	                  Very High

Given the  fact that 80%  of mobile traffic originates  in-doors, one
way to achieve these KPIs with wireless is to use either WiFi or FEMTO
cells to connect mobiles to the local fixed line (fibre) backhaul.  In
5G this approach is referred to as densification.

Wireless will keep pace with fibre for some time too because currently
vacant radio bands  under investigation in the 100s  of Ghz range have
much more spectrum than today's bands.

( of course densification and GHz waves favour short range users :( )

Thus even the 'mobile future' requires a FTTP network.

Gerard