[LINK] Fibre signal losses and wireless

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Sat Jul 2 10:51:46 AEST 2016

On 2016-07-01 20:08 David Boxall wrote:

>> Its about costs, if houses are too far apart, there will be too much loss on the fibre to be splitting to every house to meet the current contention ratios, this would mean that extra fibre will have to be used to service these types of customers. ... Wireless is not a bad solution, it is fixed, with antennas(so different to mobile) and can service areas where population is more sprawled than in town centres.  Fibre has a 50% loss on every split(its a shared fibre to around 22 homes) so it becomes less viable and cost effective the further residences get apart.

It sounds very confused, as though the writer imagines a single distribution fibre is split evenly every time it comes to a house, so the signal after 'n' houses is then (2^-n).  But even then, optical transmission is very efficient and transmission loss has nothing to do with the splitter.  Not that I'm any expert on this stuff...

David L.