[LINK] What is Mircosoft trying to do?

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Mon Jul 4 17:37:57 AEST 2016

On 04/07/2016 12:39, Brendan wrote:

> The corollary to this though is that if you don't like Windows 10, you should have a migration plan in place by 2020. Almost by definition that migration must be to some flavour of Linux.

I suppose that depends on how many people migrate to a non-Microsoft tablet device as their only computer.  And if large numbers do so, the paradigm of the personal (desktop or tablet) computer as a commercial platform will surely become general.  And I wonder how Microsoft et al will cater for non-personal users?

I migrated to SuSE Linux 9.1 around 15 years ago, and updates for the "Evergreen" version 11.4 have been published continually since March 2011.  Unfortunately that version has a glitzy user-interface known as "Plasma" which can be configured around, but it resulted in code-fork known as Trinity which maintains the Windows-7 type UI.

There should be an opening for a Linux tablet device...

David L.