[LINK] Electronic Voting

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jul 11 13:03:19 AEST 2016

On 11/07/16 12:33, Chris Johnson wrote:
> <snip>
> Electronic voting would be nice as an efficiency but is not a game
> changer. I'm more concerned that the system should be an accurate
> indicator of the voters' opinions: which is subverted by reporting
> early counts before the polls close. Election reporting rules need to
> catche up with the availability of electronic communications (since
> radio in the 30s!). The early results from the first booths to close
> in the eastern states should not be available until after the western
> states close two hours later (better yet, not even be counted - to
> avoid danger of leaks). Otherwise - if we just want more efficiency,
> they could start counting postal votes before election day, just not
> release the results. I would object to this, as it makes even worse
> the same danger of leaked early results perturbing the later voters.

I remember following federal elections when I lived in WA. Election were
often called "over east" when the polls were still open for another
three hours (during summer).

Something unusual about this election was that it was in the dead of
winter. But it was a beautiful day in Sydney.

If electronic voting kills the school/boy scout fete that would be a
real loss.

At Annandale Public School about 1400 people were expected to vote.
1806 people actually cast their votes. The booth closed at 18.22.

The first pass scruitineering was interesting and we were done and
dusted by 8.30pm for the house of reps.

Overall in the seat there was only a 75.38% turnout - one guy said he
had voted on his phone! Informality:6.06%

The media also turned up early in the day. I guess they expected a labor
leadership change. Though the election was disappointing in the lack of
coverage of the plethora of candidates by the media.
http://ramin.com.au/annandale/federal-election-2016.shtml

Senate is ofcourse a different matter and a big issue. For my own part,
in past years, I made the foolish mistake of not taking in How To Votes.
There were A - AO columns to choose from in NSW and having the how to
vote made it a lot quicker and I was probably more informed on who I was
voting for.

Marghanita

--
Marghanita da Cruz