[LINK] Robot cars and the fear gap

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:53:22 AEST 2016

BRD wrote:

And the idea that robots and/or autonomous vehicles can predict
> consequences

Doesn't a robot - or a human driver - in effect make a prediction when they
apply the brakes?  I say "in effect" because the world does not actually
run on "predictions".  In Kahneman terms of slow and fast thinking,
predictions are slow thinking and are not a good modus operandi for driving
a potentially lethal vehicle.  What we want are are well trained and
reliable *reactions* to the continuously emerging circumstances.

> and make ethical and/or moral judgements is even more
> fictional.

Humans can't do this reliably, or absolutely, either.   And again, ethical
judgements are slow thinking.  Well trained reactions and maybe rules are
much better.  These might incorporate ethical considerations.

Jim