[LINK] Will humans be banned from driving?

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Jun 1 14:34:12 AEST 2016

On 1/06/2016 2:12 PM, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> Mmmm,
>
> As will the attendant hardware - and no I don’t just mean the cars.
>
> Roads will need to be maintained with highly visible white marking and/or embedded sensors.

How about off-road driving? Dirt tracks, driveways, ad hoc parking,
grass verge parking, tradesmen's utes, caravan/horsebox/boat/trailer towing?

The problem with automation is that you need to cover every eventuality,
error condition and exception. Humans tend to be much better, on
average, than machines when it comes to exceptions and unexpected
conditions. Unless of course they drive so infrequently that their skill
levels and reaction times deteriorate.

--

Regards
brd