[LINK] Why you may not own, or drive your vehicle in 10 years time

Chris Johnson Chris.Johnson at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 8 17:49:19 AEST 2016

On 7/06/2016 12:00 PM, link-request at mailman.anu.edu.au wrote:
> Re: [LINK] Why you may not own, or drive your vehicle in 10
> 	years time

There are too many posts to quote from - but consider, just on whether
all cars should have a self-driving function. Two cases:
1. If arterial roads such as the Sydney M5 Eastern Distributor/Hume
Highway mandated hands-off driving only - and required human drivers to
use the alternative multiply traffic-lighted slow routes - now there's
an incentive to have and use a self-driving car some of the time.The
public benefit of automated arterial roads would be a lower accident
rate (we presume) and a closer packing density, increasing the carrying
capacity more cheaply than building another tunnel.
2. If drivers who had lost their licence were allowed to use a
self-driving car that was required to be under automatic control, their
driving options might be limited but their mobilty restored. There is a
large number fo such driversm, who keep offending (driving unlicensed).

I agree that there is pleasure in driving, and human driving will remain
part of the requirement for many users.  But there is no pleasure in
driving that part of the commute from Campbelltown to the Harbour, and
little challenge in the driving it, once lane-swerving by poor human
drivers is prevented.
On the open highway many people use cruise control, but it is not suited
to the outback track. We may come to think of the self-driving function
of the future car being used selectively in similar ways. A universal
function, but not always used.
Enforcement? the car could be equipped to report whether it was under
human or self control at monitoring points like (more frequent) tolling
points. Large penalties and loss of licence.

--
Chris Johnson, Hon AsPro RSCS ANU