[LINK] Why you may not own, or drive your vehicle in 10 years time

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Thu Jun 9 22:52:10 AEST 2016

On 09/06/2016 22:29, David Lochrin wrote:
> On 2016-06-09 21:32 I wrote:
>
>> Suppose there's been heavy rain for three days and numerous warnings about flooding on local roads.  Ignoring the warnings, I drive around a bend and hit water 30cm deep at the speed limit with the result the car aquaplanes causing an accident with multiple fatalities.  With a conventional car I think there'd be no doubt about the outcome - I'd be doing porridge for negligent driving.  But what person would be responsible with a driverless vehicle?  Who would the relatives of the dead victims sue, or have they no comeback?
> Sorry, the point of this example was lost during editing...  Driving in a real-world context relies on a wider set of information than is present in the immediate vehicle environment.  No matter how good the sensors and AI software might be, they're not the same as a human functioning in the real world.  In this case the onboard system wasn't monitoring the media and the weather.

Most weekdays I drive 25 kms to work (one way). I
experience things that I'm sure only a human could
comprehend.

I cross 3 causeways and 2 level train tracks:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd_ZKB6gtxg)

I've had one close call with a cane train where I
didn't see it behind the macadamia trees as it
approached the crossing.

Our car has a new motor because it got stuck in
one of the causeways when it was flooded (not
me driving, t'was the missus' fault)

Was diverted off the main road today because
of a fatal car crash.

Auto-cars are not going to cut it in rural Oz.

-andyf